Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day-Waco Style

So, the 30 Day Challenge got the best of me. I just don't have the time to blog every single day, plus some of the upcoming prompts were really lame. There are a few that I liked, so maybe I will just use them as ideas for future posts.

But what I really want to tell you about is the SNOW DAY we are having in Waco today! All week it has been miserably cold (I don't think the temperature has been above 30 since Tuesday morning). I have worn about 5 layers of clothes just to keep warm. To this Houston girl, it has been pretty bad! Tuesday was OK, it was kind of a new adventure to have to go to class in such cold weather. Then Wednesday morning everyone woke up to no power because of rolling blackouts due to an energy shortage. Well, everyone that is except for Baylor-we-produce-our-own-power University. Classes were still on. Ugh! So we got ready by candlelight and drug our sad little butts to class. Thursday was more of the same, freezing cold and windy, still having class because unlike the great majority of North Texas, no actual snow or ice had accumulated in Waco. BUT! There was hope for snow on Friday, so that made everything a little more bearable.

WELL. Long ago, my Belize Spring Break missions team had planned for last night to be our movie/pizza/work on making materials night at our professor's house. Which is about 20 minutes south of Waco. Before I left, I knew there was a chance it would be snowing later that night, but I figured the snow wasn't supposed to start until at least midnight, we would be home well before that. So I went out there and we had a great time. Really good team bonding time, plus cupcakes to celebrate Jason's birthday. Around 9 o'clock, we looked outside and realized their deck was covered in SNOW! We all ran out to check, and sure enough, it was coming down pretty hard. I don't think it had started snowing in Waco yet, because I hadn't gotten any excited texts or facebook updates. Soon after that, we packed up and headed out. I had driven myself, thinking that snow wouldn't be an issue. I had never driven in snow before, so I was kind of freaked out, but I figured I would just go really slowly. It was definitely an adventure. The hardest part was stopping, because every time I started again the wheels would have to find traction again. I slid a few times, mostly closer to home, but I made it, and it was actually kind of cool. I can cross "Drive through a snow-storm" off my bucket list. Although I don't really think it was there to begin with.

So I made it home, tried to park my car sort of between the lines in the parking lot which I could no longer see because they were covered up by snow, and walked up to my apartment. But my roomies were nowhere to be found! At first I thought they had all gone to bed, because only one light was on. But it was only 10:30, and I knew they knew it was snowing! I thought they were crazy-for about a minute. Then it dawned on me that they were probably out playing in the snow! So I called them and went back out on campus to meet with them. We spent probably an hour just walking around campus, making snow men and snow angels, and taking pictures. So much fun.
















Roomies in the snow


My snow angel!

The only downside was, we still weren't sure if we would have school today or not. Once we got home, I read a few chapters in a book I was supposed to have finished by today for my Religion in America class. It's actual sermons and documents from the Great Awakening, so basically, snooze-fest. I read for a while, then decided I was done, and went to bed. When my alarm went off this morning, to my great joy, my phone told me that we did NOT have school! And there was great rejoicing. Except not right then, because I went straight back to bed. Eventually we all woke up and took another walk around campus, through the now-melting slush/snow.

















Gorgeous tree in front of the SUB Snow on our steps-
about 2 inches, I'd say!

Then we went to McAlister's for some yummy soup to warm our cold bodies, and HEB to get supplies for chili and berry cobbler, which we are about to start making. All in all, a great end to a COLD week here in Waco!

No comments: